There are an average of over 58 million people visiting Walt Disney World annually, and even at the most Magical Place on Earth, there are still bound to be some injuries, or illnesses that need treating. Everything from broken bones to more dire medical emergencies can happen while on vacation. The thought of getting hurt or needing medical help while on vacation, a Disney vacation especially, is something practically no one considers when planning their trip. So in the event that you do need help, it’s easy to feel caught off guard and wonder where to get help.
Disney World does not have its own hospital, but does offer basic first aid at all of their theme parks and resorts. The closest hospital is AdventHealth Celebration about 10 minutes from Disney property. There are also several urgent care locations near Disney Springs, “room service” doctors, or telehealth care options.
While Disney World is practically its own city, there is not enough demand for a hospital exclusive to Walt Disney World itself. But there are many other ways to easily get care nearby, and for some issues, you might not even need to leave your hotel room! Keep reading for all of the details you need to know about getting medical help at Walt Disney World, plus a list of all of the closest urgent care locations to Disney property.
Disney World Does Not Have Its Own Hospital, But Does Still Offer Some Medical Services
Even though Disney World does not have its own hospital, Disney does still employ some medical staff, primarily nurses, on property. These nurses are fully licensed RN staff that work in the first aid stations at the theme parks. They are available to provide basic first aid care, offer over-the-counter medications, bandages, and other quick remedies. They also make decisions on when someone should be transferred to local hospitals for more urgent care, among other things. All of the first aid at Disney World is provided at no cost to the guest.
First Aid at Disney Resort Hotels
Guests staying at official Disney Resort hotels have access to in-room medical services on a 24/7 basis by calling the front desk. However, Disney’s website does not list exactly what these services include or who provides them. Also keep in mind that the services they can provide in-room may be limited. Although, later in this article I offer two other suggestions that serve as in-room care options as well (telehealth, or Doctors on Call or similar services).
The first aid centers at Disney Resort hotels also can store medications that require refrigeration. This is helpful if you prefer not to store your medications in the in-room mini-fridge or if your hotel room happens to not have a mini-fridge (though most Disney Resorts hotel rooms do).
First Aid at Disney Theme Parks
There is a first aid station in every Disney theme park, and I’ve listed exactly where to find each one below. At these first aid stations you will find licensed RN staff ready to help with most common ailments, and much more.
Disney first aid stations have refrigeration units to store medications while in the park, hold medical equipment or supplies for you, help set up urgent care appointments with local clinics, monitor your blood pressure, offer adult changing facilities, and more! First aid centers also offer private exam rooms, and rest areas with cots. Plus you can access the baby care center from most first aid centers in each theme park as well.
Where to Find the First Aid Station at Each Disney World Theme Park
- Magic Kingdom: In the alcove halfway between Casey’s Corner Restaurant and Crystal Palace Restaurant. From Main Street, take a left on the path that runs in front of Casey’s Corner and it will be on your left after passing Casey’s.
- EPCOT: In the Odyssey building on the path that runs in between Test Track and the Mexico pavilion in World Showcase.
- Hollywood Studios: Near the theme park entrance, between Guest Services and Sid Cahuenga’s on Hollywood Boulevard.
- Animal Kingdom: On Discovery Island near the bridge to Africa, behind Creature Comforts and the MyMagic+ service center.
- Typhoon Lagoon Water Park: Near the park entrance, behind Leaning Palms.
- Blizzard Beach Water Park: Between Lottawatta Lodge and Beach Haus.
*As of 2021 Disney Springs does not currently have a first aid station.
Other Options for Medical Help Outside of What Disney World Offers
Besides the first aid and limited in-room medical services that Disney provides for guests, there are also other options available through third parties that may be more encompassing. Or you may find you need a higher level of care than Disney can provide. In these cases you have a few options. Either travel offsite to a local clinic/hospital/urgent care, use telehealth services, or use a third party “doctor on demand” service.
Urgent Care Locations Closest to Disney World
Disney recommends the AdventHealth Centra Care Lake Buena Vista Walk-In Urgent Care just outside of Disney Springs. They are open weekdays 8am – Midnight, and weekends 8am-8pm, and they offer free transportation to local attractions to and from their facility. They also offer Physician Room Service where a doctor will come to your resort room. Their phone number for the Lake Buena Vista location is 407-934-2273. You can also visit them online at https://www.centracare.adventhealth.com/.
Besides the Centra Care Lake Buena Vista location, there are 5 more urgent care options nearby:
- Buena Vista Urgent Care: Down the street from the Centra Care location Disney recommends, located at 8216 World Center Dr, Orlando, FL 32821. https://www.buenavistaurgentcare.com/
- Urgent Care 24/7 Orlando: Boasting 24/7 availability, located at 2940 Mallory Cir Ste 204-A, Celebration, FL 34747. https://urgentcare247orlando.com
- CVS Minute Clinic: Offering the convenience of a pharmacy and urgent care in one, located at 5308 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, Kissimmee, FL 34746. https://www.cvs.com/
- CVS Minute Clinic: This one is a bit farther from Disney property than the one on Irlo Bronson, but still offers the same services. Located at 10701 International Dr, Orlando, FL 32821. https://www.cvs.com/
- AdventHealth Centra Care Orange Lake: Located behind Animal Kingdom, this one is a bit farther from the majority of Disney property. That is unless you are in the Animal Kingdom area of course, because if so, go with this one. Located at 8201 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, Kissimmee, FL 34747. https://www.centracare.adventhealth.com/
Local Hospitals Near Walt Disney World
About 10 minutes from Disney property is the closest hospital to Disney World, the AdventHealth Celebration Hospital at 400 Celebration Place, Celebration, FL 34747. www.celebrationhealth.com.
*Note: This hospital was formerly known as “Florida Hospital Celebration”
Any other hospital is about a 20-30 minute drive from Disney property. These other nearby hospitals include:
- Orlando Health – Health Central Hospital: Located at 10000 W. Colonial Drive, Ocoee, FL 34761. 407-296-1000. www.healthcentral.org
- Osceola Regional Medical Center: Located at 700 West Oak Street, Kissimmee, FL 34741. 407-846-2266. www.osceolaregional.com
- Southlake Hospital: Located at 1099 Citrus Tower Blvd, Clermont, FL 34711. 352-394-4071. www.southlakehospital.com
- Winnie Palmer Hospital: Located at 83 West Miller Street, Orlando FL 32806. 321-843-9792. http://www.orlandohealth.com/WinniePalmerHospital/index.aspx
- Nemours Children’s Hospital: Located at 13535 Nemours Parkway, Orlando, Fl 32827. 407-567-4000. https://www.nemours.org/locations/orlando-nemours-childrens-hospital.html
Telehealth or In-Room Doctors on Demand
One good thing that 2020 brought us was the rise of telehealth and easily accessible online medical services. These telehealth services would be an incredibly convenient option for health care at Disney that I know I would consider if I needed it. Check with your insurance provider, as some have their own telehealth programs, or look into options like TelaDoc or MDLive.
If you’re looking for a more full service option, but still at the convenience of not leaving your hotel room, then try a Doctor on Demand service. There is one provided by the Centra Care Urgent Care Lake Buena Vista location that Disney recommends, and their contact information is listed above in this article.
Otherwise, Disney also recommends the company Doctors on Call. Their doctors will also come to your resort and provide care in your room. And will provide care on a 24 hour on-call basis. Contact them at 407-399-3627 or at https://www.doctorsoncallservice.com/.